Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 22: Fairbanks


We packed up camp today and said goodbye to Denali. I was so bummed to be leaving! But I don't think they'd let us stay forever, and come winter I think the tent would get a little cold. So away we went and a short drive later we arrived in Fairbanks.

The weather is beautiful here, very sunny and maybe hitting 70 degrees. Maybe. It could only be about 65 or so. But it's warm for me, and even Sarah is saying that it's warm. She'll get used to this never-gets-above-75 thing yet. We set up camp at the River's Edge Resort, and true to it's name, we're right on the Chena River. Like, maybe 10 feet from our tent is the river. Very very beautiful. We were visited earlier by a ducky family who was nice enough to stay a while and pose for pictures, which we gladly took.

We were feeling a little fresh fruit and veggie deficient since leaving Uncle Mike and Aunt Tami's, so we headed to the Safeway to pick up some stuff for a big veggie stir fry dinner. Wow! Veggies and fruit and expensive in Alaska! At least compared to California where I buy 10 for $10 avocados at the co-op and get fruit picked that morning from the farmers market.

But our dinner was good, and if not for horribly injuring myself, today would be a great day. When striking a match to light the camp stove, a bit flew into my eye, and a gallon of water plus several minutes standing in the shower holding my eye open in the water hasn't helped. I'm hoping tomorrow my eye will be better, because there's no way I can drive like this.

So I'm saying goodnight and will hope that tomorrow my eye is better.

No comments: