Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day 18: Anchorage


Well, we made it through the night safe and sound. Of course, this evening we had several more visits with weirdos, so now we're back on edge on wondering why the heck we decided to camp here (it was cheap!), but today wasn't all bad.

We had vegan pancakes and fake bacon for breakfast (first warm breakfast on the new stove, yay!), then went downtown to explore. There really wasn't too much to see, but we stopped in at the visitor center where everyone was friendly, and walked through the federal building (where the only weirdos were the two guards at the door). Afterwards, Sarah and I rode our bikes on the Tony Knowles Coastal trail. It's an eleven mile trail (I'm not even sure we rode two miles before turning around), and was very pretty, but it reaffirmed just how out of shape I am. I had to walk the bike up several of the hills, and by the time we were about a block away from our car (and at the bottom of the largest hill), I gave up and walked it the rest of the way. I think something might be wrong with the gears though, since it makes some pretty horrible noises when I shift and if I'm not in a low gear.

The restaurant that had been recommended to me was no longer serving food, but they sent us over to the Beartooth Theatre Pub, which by far has been the highlight of Anchorage. The food was excellent, and at least half the menu was vegetarian (with the option to add meat at an extra charge), and most were easily veganized. Sarah and I spent almost 20 minutes deciding what we wanted, and eventually we had to say "this is it" and not look at the menu anymore. We shared seven layer dip (except I don't think there was seven layers...I forgot to count), Sarah had the Veggie Bomber Burrito, and I had the Baked Veggie Sandwich with cremini and portobello mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and artichoke hearts and left off the cheese. Sarah and I are both very happy campers and are looking forward to eating out leftovers tomorrow.

No comments: